Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Dry bitter guard ( karela) subji

This is the recipe I developed when I was looking for a cure to control my blood sugar levels during my gestational diabetes. It worked wonders. Just one serving of this karela sabji in the lunch used to regulate my blood sugars all day long. And funny thing is, this happens to be my Hubby's favorite vegetable too. And now I am so blessed that both my kiddos just love the way I cook this bitter vegetable. Hope you like it too.



Ingredients: serving size 4

Bitter guard: 10 medium size

 Mustard seeds: 1 tsp

Cumin seeds: 2 tsp

Asafetida: 1 tsp

 Turmeric: 1 tsp

Dhaniya powder: 2 tbs

 Salt: 4 tbs

Sugar: 1 tbs

Gram flour: 4 tbs

Lemon juice: from 1 lemon

Cumin powder: 1 tbs

Red chilli powder: 1/2 tbs

Oil: 3 tbs

Cilantro for garnishing

Method:
 1. Wash and cut bitter guard in think slices. Add 3 tbs salt, mix well and set aside for half an hour.

2. After half an hour, wash and rinse bitter guard properly to take all salt out, let it dry for another half hour.

3. In a pan heat 3 tbs oil, add mustard seeds and let it crackle. Add cumin seeds, asafetida, turmeric powder and washed and dried bitter guard.

4. Add some salt and let it cook stirring occasionally.

5. Once bitter guard is almost done, add gram flour, cover it and let it cook for 5 minutes at medium flame.

6. Add sugar, chilli powder, cumin powder, dhaniya powder, lemon juice and mix well. Cover turn off gas and let it set couple of minutes.

7. Serve and garnish with cilantro.

PS: Add more sugar if you still find the bitter taste bothersome. Many completely omit the use of sugar while eating bitter guard. Choice is always yours :)



















No comments:

Post a Comment